Note: this is an adaptation of Northern Brewer's Dark Cherry Stout recipe.
- 1/2 lb. Simpson's Dark Crystal
- 1/2 lb. Crisp Roasted Barley
- 1/2 lb. Crisp Black Malt
- 3.3 lbs. Gold LME
- 3 lbs. Dark DME
- 1 oz. Northern Brewer (60 mins)
- 1 oz. Willamette (1 min)
- Frozen Raspberries (5 x 10 ounce bags)
- Wyeast 1028 - London Ale
- 10/8/04 - Made starter and pitched yeast. Active fermentation within an hour.
- 10/11/04 - Was planning on brewing yesterday, but unfortunately I was put out of commission for most of the day by a nasty headache. So it's gonna have to be tonight.
- 10/11/04 - This evening, I boiled up another \~400mL wort and added it to the starter to give the little yeasties something to do while they're waiting for the big batch tomorrow night
- 12/21/04 - Okay - I have no excuses. It's over two months later, and I haven't brewed yet. Today I stopped by NB to pick up the grains for this batch. I'm planning on brewing on Friday, as I have the day off and Meghan's working.
- 12/26/04 - Finally! Brewed today. Came very close to the target gravity of 1.053....mine was 1.050. Pretty close if you ask me...anyways, I pitched a 650 mL starter around 1800 hours, and there was the beginnings of fermentation activity within two hours.
- 12/27/04 - 0900 hours - 1 inch or so of kreusen...
- 12/28/04 - Fermentation is coming along nicely. No blowoff so far, but the kreusen is sitting at about 2 inches or so.
- 2/11/05 - Flash pasturized 5 10 ounce bags of frozen raspberries, dumped them into the bottom of a 6 gallon carboy, and then racked on top. Gravity 1.014.
- 2/13/05 - Tasted a small sample from the carboy, and man, does it taste incredible. Great raspberry flavor, yet not overpowering. Note to self about next time, crush berries. The fermentation is progressing quite slowly, as most of the sugar is trapped inside of the raspberries.
- 2/17/05 - Transferred off of the raspberries into the tertiary. Gravity 1.008. Promash says that this is about 5.5% ABV.
- 3/11/05 - Bottled. Gravity at bottling: 1.008.