So after tonight, if anyone ever asks if I've successfully installed a garage door opener, I can say with enthusiasm, "Heck yeah!". I got started tonight around 7:00 or so I'd guess. I spent about 45 minutes taking the old opener down, and then started headlong into the new installation. Everything went really smoothly, actually. There were a few points where it would have been nice to have an extra hand or two, as I had to do some creative thinking at several points along the installation. The most noteworthy instance was when I had to use wire strung through a few of the rafters to hold up the opener while I screwed in the lag bolts that hold the thing up.

So now, it's all working, though I still have a bit of work to do. I didn't mount the infrared sensor thingies yet, so they're just sitting on the workbench about three inches from each other. So it's not, shall I say, the safest garage door opener in history, but I'll take care of that soon. I was too exhausted to think about trying to mount those tonight. Perhaps tomorrow night, I'll be able to get to them.

Lemme tell ya - if there's one thing owning a house does for ya, it's teaching you how to fix any and everything :-) Gotta love it - it's an excuse to buy good tools!